Tuesday 27 March 2012

Sucker for punishment

I discovered recently that, in the most recent edition of 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die, not only had some films been added from the past 12 months (subsequently removing some of the films from the past few years, but mainly last year) but some films from earlier than last year had been added in, for example 2006's Apocalypto, which was not in the 2011 edition, but is in the 2012. Outraged isn't the word. It's clear that the makers of the book were allowing themselves to benefit from the glorious gift of hindsight, allowing them to now know that Apocalypto is a much better film than the likes of An Education and Precious, but I got to thinking, what other films am I missing out on? It didn't feel right to base my list on the randomness of the year I received the book. So after a quick Google I discovered this lovely little site, where you can find all of the films ever to appear on any of the lists, and so I've added the 54 missing films onto my pile, including those added for the latest book edition. Rest assured I'll be doing the same thing for every new edition released, but I'll try and keep within the time limit of five years. This should make January 2016 especially fun, as I'll be finishing off the list as well as those films added only days before, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

One quick note, I'm trying to cheat by pre-empting the list, as if I saw the films that have been added in the cinema or on DVD before they were put on the list, but only if I've posted a review, then I consider that film already crossed off, so the 2010 True Grit that is now present has already been crossed out, as the review can be found here. Here's hoping that The Muppets, The Help, The Artist, Bill Cunningham New York and War Horse all appear next year! I don't have much hope for The Woman In Black.

New additions include films I know and love (Adaptation, The Host), some I've seen once but want a reason to watch again (The Social Network, In the Loop, the aforementionned Apocalypto), some I've never seen but feel I should (The Passion Of The Christ, The Queen) and some I've seen, but kind of hoped I wouldn't ever have to watch again (Eyes Wide Shut, Babel). There's also a few fairly random additions (Meet the Parents). The list now sits at 1382 films in total, so I should probably stop writing this and crack on.

No comments:

Post a Comment