Friday 4 January 2013

Top 10... Films Of 2012

As promised, the Top lists have returned, with a vengeance! For you see, what once was five has now become ten, because y'know, when something was already a struggle to do on a weekly basis, why not double the workload? Anyway, this list is a fairly standard one for this time of year, looking back at the best films of 2012. I went to the cinema a total of 14 times last year, and for the most part I only saw films that I actually wanted to see, hence why I was able to make this list, as most of what I saw I genuinely loved. The three films that didn't quite make it this year were, in ascending order, The Woman in Black (partly because of my terrible film experience, partly because it was quite a boring film that I didn't want to see anyway, thanks Craig), The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (wonderful viewing experience, good film that genuinely made me happy) and Prometheus (massive disappointment, but probably better than I originally gave it credit for, if you remove my impossible expectations).

Honourable Mention
The Pirates! In An Adventure With Scientists
Aardman! In an animation with monkeys! Wallace and Gromit, Chicken Run and everything else this Bristol-based animation studio have provided (except maybe Flushed Away) are British treasures, and the closest this country is ever likely to come to Pixar. This story, based on an acclaimed series of children's books, sees Hugh Grant's Pirate Captain attempt to win both the Pirate of the Year competition and a big pile of cash from some easily-impressed scientists. It's hilarious, beautifully crafted and packed with a wonderful cast, including David Tennant as Charles Darwin, Imelda Staunton as Queen Victoria and Martin Freeman as Pirate with a Scarf, and I've just realised that I don't own it yet and I've forbidden myself from buying DVDs this year, so I can't watch it again for a while. Bugger.

10. The Dark Knight Rises
Christopher Nolan's trilogy closer disappointed many people, myself included, but it is still one of the best films this year in terms of spectacle, storytelling and general epic-ness. I think it may be better than I originally gave it credit for, and I desperately need to watch it again, at which point it may find itself rising through the ranks of this list. The film ended Batman's arc nicely, with the inclusion of some interesting characters, and a truly effective villain in Tom Hardy's Bane. I seem to be the only person who had issues with Anne Hathaway's Catwoman, but thankfully we have Joseph Gordon Levitt, Matthew Modine and Marion Cotillard to more than make up for that. And Michael Caine was phenomenal, and I'll be even more disappointed if he doesn't receive a Best Supporting Actor nomination for his role as Alfred.

9. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
 Sneaking its way onto this list after I saw it on New Year's Eve, The Hobbit was just as entertaining as I'd hoped. There were a few niggles (The Goblin King, old-Bilbo's introduction) but not enough to spoil what was otherwise a tremendous, and tremendously long, cinema experience. I didn't see it in 3D or 48fps, because two dimensions and 24 frames per second worked pretty well for The Lord Of The Rings, so I felt it wasn't really necessary here. Martin Freeman is possibly the most perfect casting in all of history as the younger Bilbo, and The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (pronounced Smow-erg, not Smorg as I'd always believed) has just jacked up by most anticipated list of 2013 (see next Friday).

8. Brave
Now this is a surprise to me too. When I first saw Brave, I was fairly non-plussed, seeing it as better than the lesser-Pixars (Cars and, presumably, Cars 2), but not as good as anything else they've produced. The lack of a truly compelling story, combined with far less going on in the backgrounds of scenes than I'd previously come to expect from a Pixar film made this almost boring to watch. But, after having watched it again recently (also on New Year's Eve, immediately after The Hobbit) I found it to be nothing short of delightful, full of colourful characters, a wide variety of comedic goings on (a bear falling down stairs, what more could you possibly want than a bear falling down stairs?) and the typically magical effects from the animation wonderhouse. And whilst Princess Merida (Kelly MacDonald) will never be my favourite Pixar character (because y'know, she's a girl), her dad (Billy Connolly) is very entertaining.

7. Skyfall
Last year James Bond came back, back, back with the help of Same Mendes, and together they made one of the greatest James Bond films in history, at least in the Top 5. Skyfall had everything a good Bond film needs - beautiful but disposable women, a nerdy Q (Ben Whishaw, brilliant), a cool car (and me noticing a car is something to take note of), some top quality British actors getting to have a bit of fun (Ralph Fiennes, Judi Dench, Albert Finney), incredible stunts and, of course, a dastardly villain, here in the shape of Javier Badrem's Silva. Its almost flawless, except no-one really wants to see James Bond become a wreck and suck at being an agent, even if its just for a little while. This is easily forgotten by just remembering the bit where he checks his cuffs after jumping into a destroyed train carriage. Easily my favourite moment in cinema this year, with Avengers' "Puny God" line being a close second.

6. Argo
Ben Affleck continued his quality-ascending solid thrillers with this impossibly tense extraction film, as his CIA agent formulates and performs and elaborate scheme to rescue six American citizens from 1980s Iran. The mix of edge-of-the-seat, nail-biting tension and biting, self deprecating satire of the Hollywood industry courtesy of Alan Arkin and John Goodman worked unbelievably well, and it was a long time after I'd seen the film that my heart stopped racing at an incredible pace, so fraught is the film. A cracking supporting cast featuring every jobbing character actor available (Bryan Cranston! yay!), an effective and realistic recreation of the era and a well balanced script outshines the overly Hollywood-ised ending to finish off Affleck's best work to date, both in front of and behind the camera. Roll on whatever he decides to do next.

5. Looper
It's officially the film I've seen the most times at the cinema, with a current total of 1.5 viewings after I fainted during the first attempt. The fact that I not only paid for myself but also a friend to go and see it again (in premier seats no less, and a different companion to the first co-watcher) must mean that the story was beyond captivating. The casting of Bruce Willis and Joseph 'Joggle' Gordon Levitt as the older and younger versions of the same guy who, for reasons that become clear, aren't necessarily all that fond of each other and are definitely out for different goals, is just beautifully done, and I never had any problem with Joggle's facial prosthetics. There are so many things I want to say about this film, but pretty much all of them are spoilers, so if you still haven't seen it I can only imagine it's because you haven't seen either of director Rian Johnson's other films, in which case go and watch this, Brick and The Brothers Bloom immediately, for this is a guy who does nothing but make good films. Imagine if he directed the new Star Wars films! They'd be so awesome. Joggle as Han and Leia's son anyone? Oh, and one final shout out to Pierce Gagnon, the kid in this film, who is pretty goddamn great for a young'un. And Jeff Daniels, for being Jeff Daniels.

4. Seven Psychopaths
Christopher Walken! Woody Harrelson! Tom Waits! His rabbit! Sam Rockwell! Harry Dead Stanton! Kevin Corrigan! Colin Farrell! Crispin Glover! Michael Stuhlbarg! Michael Pitt! Everyone else in this goddamn cast! by Martin McDunnough! Yep, you know me, I'm a sucker for a character actor, so when you give me a cast full of them, I'll go see your film (goddamn I can't wait for Lincoln to get over here). Seriously, if at some point in The Sound Of Music Christopher Walken rose from the grave, Nosferatu-style, with a pistol in each hand and started unloading on a gang of hoodlums, I'd happily sit through three hours of saccharine nonsense just for that moment. Especially if he ended up gunning down the Von Trapps. Starting with the little girl. Anyway, it wasn't just the cast that made me love this film, but all the self-referential twists and turns, the stories within stories, the complete disregard for even caring whether the female characters were well written or not, just everything. 

3. The Muppets
Now I know what you're thinking, why is The Muppets, a film from 2011, on a best of 2012 list? Hell, it even won an Oscar in 2012. Well, that's because I live in a world where I can receive a t-shirt I've ordered from America in a matter of days, but where it takes 3 months for a film to arrive in my local cinemas. You see, The Muppets wasn't released here until February 10th 2012, so as far as I'm concerned it came out last year, and thus is more than deserving of a place on this list. The Muppets saw human the human Gary (Jason Segel) and his bizarelly felt-clad brother Walter attempt to track down the disbanded Muppets, with the hope that they'll perform a show to raise money in order to save their theatre from evil rapping oil tycoon Tex Richman (Chris Cooper). Packed to bursting with cameos (of which my favourite is probably still The Big Bang Theory's Jim Sheridan), wonderful songs penned by Flight of the Conchords' Bret McKenzie and more puppet-based hilarity than is probably good for your health, this even surpasses the original The Muppet Movie in terms of sheer enjoyment value.

2. The Avengers
Firstly, I refuse to call this film by it's British name, Avengers Assemble, because that sounds really quite dull. There is little to no chance of anyone going to see this film and be disappointed when Ralph Fiennes doesn't show up wearing a bowler hat and carrying an umbrella, so the marketing department can just accept that they were wrong on that front. Who knows, if they'd given it the proper name, this may well have been my top film of 2012. I guess we'll never know. Either way, before it was released there was much speculation that this could be a monumental flop, all of which disappeared when the film was released and pretty much everyone though it was flipping amazing. And I'm inclined to agree. Be it Mark Ruffalo's best-Hulk-yet (though that's not necessarily saying much), the return of Tom Hiddleston as a villain worthy enough of requiring six superheroes (OK, four superheroes and two skilled agents) to bring him down, the deft blend of awe-inspiring action with laugh-out-loud humour or the many lingering shots of Scarlett Johansson's backside, there was an awful lot to like about this film. Oh, and it was directed by Joss Whedon, who can really do no wrong in my eyes. Which brings me neatly along to...

I went into The Cabin In The Woods already knowing a little bit about the plot, which I won't ruin just in case. If you have so far avoided hearing anything about it, I encourage you to continue to do so until the copy that I presume you are about to order arrives in the post, at which point you can sit down, watch it, watch it again, then come back and tell me which bits you loved so much. My Christmas was almost ruined when I failed to find this under neath the tree, but rest assured my shiny new Blu-Ray arrived yesterday, and I cannot wait to watch it soon (hopefully this weekend). This is a horror film for people who don't normally watch horrors, a comedy for those that do, and just basically a great movie for people that like such things. Joss Whedon, hallowed be thy name, has crafted an intelligent, hilarious and brain-melding script whose concept is what I truly love. Even if, as with The Avengers, the trailers may have left me waiting for certain moments to happen, this is still the most enjoyable film I watched in the cinema last year.

8 comments:

  1. Cabin in the Woods was in my top 10 for most of the year but probably won't make it in now due to a good end to the year. I think it's great and a fair choice for number one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Tom. It may be riding high on rose-tinted glasses, but from what I can remember of it, it was my favourite film of last year.

      Delete
  2. The Avengers, Safety Not Guaranteed, and Moonrise Kingdom are the only 2012 films I've seen so far that have received more than 3 out of 5 stars from me (5, 4, and 4, respectively.) I haven't seen most of the late in the year movies like Skyfall, Cloud Atlas, Argo, Lincoln, Zero Dark Thirty, etc. yet. I have seen The Hobbit, Looper, Brave, The Dark Knight Rises, and The Cabin in the Woods and I would give them all 3 out of 5 stars, which means I liked them and would recommend them to others. Right now, some of them would be in my Top 10, but since there are around 2 dozen movies that will get Oscar nominations that I have not seen yet, I'm expecting none of my three star movies to be in my Top 10 for the year when all is said and done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to reading your best of list in a couple of months. I've definitely missed a few that would probably have been on my list too (I've just posted another list about it), and three of the films you mentioned haven't even come out over here yet (Lincoln, Cloud Atlas and Zero Dark Thirty), so they had no hope of making it onto my list!

      Delete
  3. This is the REAL top 10 movies this year!!! Excision, Hotel Transylvania, the dark knight returns, Prometheus, The Loved Ones, Bedevilled , The Cabin in the Woods, John Dies at the End, Chronicle, How to Train Your Dragon...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excision looks... interesting, and I've not come across The Loved Ones or Bedevilled, and John Dies at the End hasn't come out here yet, but I'm looking forward to that one. Hotel Transylvania looked pretty terrible to me though.

      Delete
  4. I love that Cabin in the Woods is your number 1. What little I knew about that one going in was nothing that impressed me. Ha, how wrong was I? A great little surprise there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately I knew a little too much about it before going in, but there were still plenty of surprises for me to enjoy. Alas, I showed it to my girlfriend the other day and she was far from impressed (but then she considers War Horse to be a horror film, so there was never any hope really).

      Delete